Doctor in Computer Science (D-CS) Programme, Department of Computer Science and Electronics (DCSE), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (FMNS), Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), Yogyakarta was established in 2007 with legal document SK Nomor 153/DIKTI/Kep/2007 dated 21, September 2007. Until now, the D-CS programme has graduated hundreds doctors in computer science spreaded in all over Indonesian region with profession majority as lecturer at universities (in the field of computer science, informatics technique, software engineering, and information system), and the profession minority as researchers as well as consultants.
The Position of the Doctor Program in Computer Science
The D-CS programme position itself among other sciences and programs (i.e., Doctor Program of Information Technology):
- The D-CS is a program that focuses on pure, fundamental, and applied research, applying the principles and latest discoveries in the field of science (i.e., mathematics, physics, and biology) to solve computational problems.
- The D-CS is a program that produces outputs in the form of new models or theories in the field of computer science based on intelligent computation.
- The D-CS not only explores basic and applied sciences, but also engineering studies, especially software.
- The D-CS at UGM emphasizes more theoretical studies in-depth in the field of computer than the use of information technology as the doctoral program in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology do.
- The D-CS at UGM has a high level of original regional distribution of students in, and the origin of S1/S2 is the largest compared to same/similar programs in all universities in Indonesia.
- The D-CS at UGM differs from others doctoral programs in Computer Science at big universities in Indonesia (i.e., UI, ITB, ITS, and private university Gunadarma) since the programme specializes in intelligent computing.